Code Compliance

The Town of Van Etten is responsible for protecting our community's health, safety and welfare through effective enforcement of town codes and ordinances. 

The goal of the Building Code Enforcement Officer is to provide information to all interested parties and to fairly and efficiently enforce the Town of Van Etten Code and Ordinances.


**Code Enforcement page under construction**

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the Town of Van Etten conduct Fire Inspections in commercial buildings?

Yes, all commercial buildings are inspected every three years and all places of assembly, every year.

Are Carbon Monoxide alarms required in all dwelling units and commercial buidlings?


Do I need a Building Permit for re roofing and shingle replacement?

All re roofing including shingle layover must have a building permit.

Are smoke detectors required in existing residential buildings?

Yes, property maintenance code of New York State requires smoke detectors at all of the following locations:

  • On each ceiling or wall outside each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of bedrooms.
  • In each room used for sleeping purposes
  • In each story within a dwelling unit, including basements and cellars but not including crawl spaces and unoccupied attics

Can I place a mobile home or double wide trailer in the town?


Are there standards for premises identification?

Yes, buildings shall have approved address numbers placed in a position to be plainly legible and visible from the street or road fronting the property.  These numbers shall contrast with their background. Address numbers shall be Arabic numbers or alphabetic numbers.  Numbers shall be a minimum of 4 inches high with a minimum stroke width of 0.5 inches.

When do I need a permit?

New York State and the Town of Van Etten laws mandate when a permit is required.  The following is to use as a guideline:


  • New construction of homes, garages, and carports
  • Addition and alterations of buildings
  • Storage buildings 144 square feet and over, including prefabricated buildings delivered to the site
  • Decks and porches
  • Enclosing porches, decks
  • Extending roofs over decks and porches
  • Rebuilding and structural renovations
  • Swimming pools above and in-ground including decks around pools 
  • Installation of woodstoves, fireplaces and chimneys
  • Demolition and removal of buildings


  • New Construction
  • Most improvements, alterations, enlargements, repairs and changes of tenants
  • Change of occupancy


How do we obtain a Certificate of Completion for permit?

A final inspection must be performed and any required paperwork (electrical inspections, pre-engineered truss certification, etc.) must be on file with the Code Enforcement Officer.

Do electrical installations need to be inspected?

Yes, all inspections are performed by a third-party agency.  A list of agencies will be on the building permit card when a permit is issued.

What type of building permit inspections are required?

During construction inspection of footers, foundation, framing, insulation, plumbing and a final inspection to close out a permit is required.  A list of inspections will be given when permit is issued.

How long is a building permit good for?

A permit is good for one (1) year from the date of issue.

How long does it take to obtain a building permit?

If all documentation is received and insurance papers are in order, usually within a day or two (2).  However, new construction, major additions, and other permits could take up to two (2) weeks for proper review of plans.

Does the Town of Van Etten have zoning?


Contact Info

Rich Leclaire
Building Code Enforcement Offcr.
6 Gee Street
607-589-4435 ext 5